Wednesday, October 5, 2016

My Ideology Inventory

I was completely surprised by the results of my ideology inventory quiz.  I scored from highest to lowest; risk/resiliency/prevention, critical youth development, then positive youth development.  I thought for sure I would score the highest in positive youth development because my main goal is to help build upon the skills the youth I work with have and their potential to be a happy, healthy, successful individual.  Even after reading the horoscope chart I still felt that my results didn't match how I want to approach my work with youth.  While I believe risk, resiliency, and prevention work is important it is not where I saw myself fitting in.

"THE MAIN OBJECTIVE OF YOUTH WORK IS TO PROVIDE OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOUNG PEOPLE TO SHAPE THEIR OWN FUTURES." 


I believe all aspects of youth work is important and I find I have values that align with each sector.  Risk work is important to help teens to make the right choices for themselves.  I believe what it important in this work is to not simply tell the youth what the right choice is but to help them to understand why and what possible consequences or the impact a choice could have on their lives. Positive youth work is the work I am currently doing at my internship.  We work to build, hone, and cultivate social, emotional, and physical skills that help our students in their social and educational aspects of lives.  I find this work so rewarding because it is often noticing small victories.  When working with students in this atmosphere I am able to see that they may sing along and participate in the song we are drumming to for a couple of seconds, but for someone who has struggled to stay at their drum that it a huge victory.  We aim to give our students a space where they feel safe to make progress at their own pace.
                                check out where I am doing my internship and what we offer!


2 comments:

  1. Your lowest score reflects your most alllgned ideology so you are totally right on in your assessment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quote here. I can relate to this from coaching every day. Anyone it does not just have to be a child learn so much better with actions rather than words. Demonstrations are crucial and you cannot mad at someone because they do not under stand something

    ReplyDelete